Wednesday, April 28, 2010

1930s Evening Capelet: Pretty (Ugly Before)?

Okay, I'm almost done with my latest 30s knit fit.  As you can tell from my frequent posts of late, I am procrastinating on some major spring cleaning.  Anyway, I saw this 1930s yarn capelet on Etsy quite a while back and initially thought it was rather odd and even sort of ugly. However, I now think I sort of love it as a REALLY eccentric evening wrap--especially after spying an image of a woman wearing this type of garment in a 30s pattern for sale on Etsy (image pasted below).  What do you think? Apparently it was meant to be knit to look like ostrich feathers.  Does it look marvellous or like one is wearing a mop? Stunning or sea anemone?  Hmmm...I definitely want to wear a light capelet over my evening dress for an event I am attending this July, but will still have to decide whether I could or would rock this particular style.





Music I'm Listening to (and inspiration for post title): "Pretty (Ugly Before)" by Elliott Smith

11 comments:

Kelley Anne said...

I think its interesting and could go well with a dress that's sleek and maybe only one color. I never would've guessed that its a knit.

Cee said...

Hmm...I like it! It is definitely different, but I think it could be pulled off with the right dress :) Its unique to say the least.

Francy said...

I like it! It could add a quirky aspect to a very classic dress.

BombshellShocked said...

Is it silly to say that I think it depends on the quality of the yarn?

Debi said...

I like it! It would look great over an evening dress!

Clara Cupcakes said...

I really really really like it. I think it's interesting and would most definately be a talking point. I love the texture. So chunky, yet so dainty! I say yes!

http://sugarblueburlesque.com/_blog/Burlesque_News

garofit said...

I did see that too a while ago and I loved it, as I do seem to have a penchant towards quirky at times. To me it had a slight earlier flavor, for some reason I could see it working very well with a corseted, neck buttoned, Victorian/Edwardian dress.

Coedith said...

It is beautiful.

Miss Rayne said...

its lovely, think of the contrast in texture between it and a satin gown...

Rachael said...

That would be utterly gorgeous to be worn as a wedding cape!

BaronessVonVintage said...

I'm convinced! With the right dress it would look glorious! I agree with BombshellShocked about the quality of the yarn (wouldn't want some fuzzy or coarse sort of yarn that is unravelling and scratchy and poufy)...